Roundworm is a parasite infection in which certain types of roundworms live inside another living host. If not treated timely the firms continue to live and grow inside causing severe problems to the overall health of your child.
Roundworm in children is particularly the most common form of infection in young children. The transmission of roundworm infection is mainly through contact with feces. Any surface that has been contaminated has a fair chance of having roundworms being spread. Since children are more carefree in touching contaminated surfaces which is why roundworms are more prone to spread in young children.
It’s important to get the roundworm treatment done as soon as possible as the roundworm can live in a person’s gut region for up to 2 years. The worms will grow up to 13 inches and can become as thick as a pencil in size. If a child swallows a roundworm egg then the egg will develop into full-fledged worms.
Which children are more at risk of roundworm infection?
Roundworms survive more in wet humid places instead. of cold dry places. They are more common in places like;
- People who live below the means and do not have the right sewage system
- There is no proper management of human waste
- All the crops are fertilized with human or animal feces
If you have recently traveled to a place where you did not find proper sewage and sanitary measures then you must get your child and yourself medically checked before further complications arise.
Your child may also experience a roundworm infection if you do not properly wash your fruits and vegetables. Usually, some fruits and vegetables have been sowed with fertilizers that are infected with roundworms, while you may not always know this information it is always best to do the proper precautions for washing your produce.
Common Symptoms of Roundworm Infection in Children
A younger child is much more prone to roundworm infection than older children, this is more so because the intestines have less room for the worms to grow. Here are a couple of symptoms to look for in roundworm infection in children;
- Worms visible in bowel movement
- Worms coming out of either mouth or from nose
- Consistent pain in the stomach
- Consistent chronic coughing
- Loss of appetite
- Acute fever
- Unexplainable wheezing
- Loss of weight
- Stunt growth
- Bloated and painful belly
How can you Diagnose Roundworm Infection in Children?
The healthcare provider will first inquire about your child’s medical history and children’s symptoms. They may also ask for your travel history to better rule out which infection your child may be suffering from. You may expect;
- Complete physical examination of your child.
- Stool sample test
- Blood test in case there is any other underlying condition.
How to treat Roundworm Infection in Children?
Mostly roundworms can be treated easily and do not cause a lot of problems. The medicine taken for roundworms kills the worms in 3 days. According to the best child specialist in Karachi, you must always talk with the doctor about what kind of medications will suit your child. Some children are more exposed to side effects than others. Some medicines offered are;
If the condition has become chronic then your child may undergo surgery to fully treat roundworms.
How can Roundworms be Prevented in Children?
Be very careful about your child’s sensitivity to their environment. You must take special care when the infection is widespread. Make sure the fruits are fully washed and the vegetables are fully cooked.
If you have a toddler who often plays in open playgrounds or mud then thoroughly wash your child’s hands frequently and use a disinfectant or a hand sanitizer to make sure there are less to no chances of roundworm development in any proximity.
Natural Home Remedies to Cure Tummy Worms in Children
Natural remedies should only be used to help in easing stomach pain and other side effects. You cannot and must not use any home remedy to be used as the first line of treatment. Here are a few natural foods and remedies to help aid the treatment of roundworms in children;
- Use Garlic as an antibacterial agent to treat roundworms. You can use it in your food or have it raw. Children will not be open to consuming raw garlic. It’s best to dice it in small cubes and use it in bread and pasta.
- Build a habit of swallowing coconut oil every morning. Coconut oil also has antibacterial properties. This can help ease stomach pain in young children.
- Raw carrots and raw papayas are fiber-rich and can help in better digestion in your intestines.
- Have lotus stem juice on an empty stomach
- Use carom seeds for a healthy gut
- Use pomegranate stem water to treat intestinal parasites
Wrapping it up!
Roundworms in the gut of your child can be super scary. But there is nothing to worry about, especially when you take the right measurements and treatment options into consideration, the roundworms can leave your gut region in no time.